A rainy Saturday in August means baking for me, and trialling a new technique for getting multiple colours into a piping bag to make it swirl.
36 cupcakes later, I had these:
12oz caster sugar
120z self raising flour
- Beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time (with a little flour if it starts to curdle)
- Add remaining flour and beat until pale and light.
- Transfer to cupcake tray and bake for 15-20 mins at 180 degrees.
500g icing sugar, sifted
160g unsalted butter, at room temperature
50ml whole milk
a couple of drops of vanilla extract
- Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
- Turn the mixer down to slow speed. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed.
- Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.
- Divide the icing into 5 separate bowls and colour to the preferred shades
- Spread the icing (as stripes) onto a sheet of cling film (see below courtesy of @voldsomkage)
- using your preferred icing nozzle, ice! and then decorate with edible glitter and stars!