Today is the birthday of one of my colleagues. Without going into too much detail, she’s had a pretty rubbish 12 months so I wanted to help her celebrate in style.
Inspired by The Great British Bake Off, I wanted to up the stakes when it came to both the baking/cake and the icing.
Cake wise, I opted for a traditional Victoria sponge base – with some whole raspberries throughout for a bit of variety, but icing wise, I was inspired by the ombre fashion.
Ingredients Cake 9 medium sized eggs 16oz butter 16oz caster sugar 16oz self raising flour 200g raspberries 1tsp baking powder
Icing 240g unsalted butter 750g icing sugar 1tsp vanilla essence 75g full fat milk
1. Cream butter and sugar together until light, fluffy and pale
2. Add eggs one by one (adding a little of the flour if needed to prevent curdling
3. Add flour
4. Add vanilla essence
5. Beat until light and fluffy
6. Split between 3 prepared (greased/floured/lined) cake tins (c25cm diameter)
7. Bake in a preheated over (c. 180) for 25-35 mins – until golden and a skewer comes out clean
8. Allow to cool
1. Soften butter
2. Gradually add icing sugar and milk
3. Once incorporated, beat on high speed for around 5 mins, until light and mousse like
I also did three tiers (not something I do very often, and made more difficult by the fact I only have sets of 2 tins!!).