One of my friends had her third baby a week or so ago and today I went to visit and meet him. Rather than take presents as he really doesn’t need any clothes, I thought I’d make a bright colourful cake for her family to enjoy – it also gives me the opportunity for some much needed decorating practice as I am making my brothers wedding cake later on this year.
I used the Wilton 5 pan set, and coloured the cakes green, blue, pink, purple and yellow!
Iced with traditional buttercream icing and topped with 100’s and 1000’s.
275g caster sugar
275g self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
500g icing sugar
160g unsalted butter
1. Lightly beat eggs
2. Add to mixing bowl with all other ingredients and mix until smooth.
3. Separate into 5 bowls (c200g per bowl)
4. Colour each of the mixtures according to preference NB I use colour gels rather than liquids as it’s much more potent and creates a much brighter colour – the thing to be wary of is getting it on your hands as it is hard to get off!!
5. Put into greased and floured tins and into pre heated oven (180c) for 18mins
6. Take out of oven and leave to cool for 5 mins before removing from tins and place on cooling on wire rack until completely cold.
1. Beat butter and icing sugar together.
2. Add milk and vanilla slowly until incorporate then beat on medium/high speed for 5 mins until light and fluffy.