In July 2014 my grandmother turned 90 and hosted a garden party to celebrate the occasion… My contribution to the festivities was a birthday cake.
I decided to make shaped cakes (something I’ve not done before) but opted for the slightly easier option of shaped cake tins rather than cutting to shape.
I bought a 9 and a 0 – rather underestimating the size of the tins and ended up with these monsters…
The first challenge was working out the mixture volume which I did by guess work (way too much the first time) and then deciding on how I’d flavour them.
Rather than a Madeira recipe I opted for a standard sponge recipe (equal quantities of egg, flour, butter and sugar) and made one vanilla and one lemon.
Each tin had 10 eggs and the corresponding ingredients – mixed in 2 batches as my mixer couldn’t manage it all! And then decorated with sugar paste flowers.
It was well received by the birthday girl and all the guests (plus all the residents of her apartment block 2 days later!) 🙂