Cabbage is one of those vegetables that I know is good for me but I am never that sure of how to cook it to make it tasty and non reminiscent of school dinners!
Good old Jamie Oliver once again came up trumps with a delicious recipe from his Cook with Jamie book – ‘Must try red cabbage.’ I have loads of recipe books at home but I do think Cook with Jamie is my favourite. Simple ingredients combined to make tasty dishes.
Combined with roast pork, anya potatoes and broccoli – great Sunday evening meal now the horrid autumnal weather is starting to set in!
• olive oil
• 250g smoked streaky bacon, finely sliced
• 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, bashed
• 1 onion, peeled and sliced
• 2 good eating apples, peeled and chopped into 2.5cm/1 inch pieces
• 1 red cabbage, outer leaves and core removed, chopped into irregular chunks
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 150ml balsamic vinegar
• a knob of butter
• a handful of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Method a la Jamie
Pour a good lug of olive oil into a saucepan, get it hot and add the bacon and fennel seeds.
Cook until golden then add the onion and continue to cook, with the lid on, for a few more minutes until golden and sticky.
Add the apple, followed by the cabbage chunks, salt and pepper and the vinegar, and stir everything together well.
Put the lid back on and continue to cook on a low heat for an hour, checking and stirring every so often.
You will end up with a gorgeously sticky-sweet cabbage dish that you’ll want to eat immediately, straight out of the pan!
Or, if you can wait long enough, scoop it into a serving dish, pop the butter on top and sprinkle over the parsley.