After becoming aware of Harry Eastwoods baking methods this weekend I attempted my first vegetable based Chocolate Cake. To be honest with you, I wasn’t holding out much hope but the result was suprisingly good.
Looks wise, it certainly won’t be winning any prizes and it just kind of fell out of the tin (needed to let it cool for longer I think) but it tasted good – more like a stodgy chocolate brownie than a light chocolate sponge, but good nonetheless.
Having stored it in a box overnight when opening the smell of aubergine was quite overwhelming, but still tastes nice and chocolately. Not sold on buying the recipe book just yet…
Recipe and Method
2 whole small aubergines (roughly 400g)
300g dark chocolate – 70% cocoa minimum broken into small pieces
50g good quality cocoa powder
60g ground almonds
3 medium free range eggs
200g clear honey
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
23cm diameter 7cm deep loose bottom tin
1. Preheat oven to 180, line a baking tin with parchment and lightly oil bottom and sides
2, Puncture aubergines, place in a bowl covered with cling film and cook in microwave for 8 mins until cooked and limp. 3. Discard water and leave until cool enough to handler.
4. Skin aubergines using a knife and puree the flesh in a blender
5. Once blended add chocolate, cover bowl with cling film and leave until melted.
6. In a bowl whisk up all other ingredients for a minute until well mixed and slightly bubbly. Fold melted aubergine and chocolate into bowl. Fold until well mixed.
7. Pour into prepared tin and cook at the bottom of the oven for 30 mins
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 mins in tin before turning out – peel off the parchment and turn back up the right way leaving to cool on a plate not a cooling tray.
9. Dust with cocoa powder and eat!